Thursday, May 12, 2011

the Postcard Show

I was honored to be part of the Postcard Show hosted by Skirt! Magazine and The Halsey Institute last night! Inspired by the RCA Secret show held annually at the Royal College of Art in London, the Postcard Show benefited the skirt! Charleston Scholarship Fund at the College of Charleston.  Initial estimates are showing that over $15,000 dollars were raised!  Great job to everyone who volunteered, and especially my fav ladies over at Skirt!.  It was so much fun to see some of my favorite artists, and supporters of the arts, come out in force to support the event.  I really hope they do it again next year!


I donated two pieces, numbers 273 and 274, which are pictured below.  Each piece had to be 4x6 inches, and sold for $75.  The doors opened at 6, but people were waiting outside at 4:15!  There were some incredible artists who donated their work, so I'm sure that's who drew the early birds:)

The artistic freedom was very liberating.  Now a days, I am so often just sitting in front of the computer, staring at the screen, so the tangible creation was such a fun way to express myself.  It is totally different from what I normally create, but that was the best part for me.  I so enjoyed digging through old boxes, finding glass plate negatives from 1899-yes, the year! What a treasure.  


I was very humbled by the caliber of artists participating.  People like Robert Lange and Nathan Durfee were the stars of the show in my book.  These are just a few snaps, but if you like what you see, be sure to come out next year and help support the cause:)

No comments: